Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the most frequently asked questions we receive.
- With the Tomorrow's Schools review happening, do we still need elections for a school board?
- What happens if I become sick or injured?
- I've just been appointed returning officer by the board to run the upcoming parent and staff representative elections. What do I get paid?
- How do I compile the roll at an intermediate school?
- I am the returning officer at a contributing school. Do I have to provide information to the intermediate school?
- What if the school records do not contain the names of both parents?
- How do I call for nominations?
- What do I have to put in the notice calling for nominations?
- What if fewer nominations are received than vacancies on the board? (For example, three or four nominations for five vacancies, or fewer than three nominations)
- What is the best way to number the voting forms?
- Who pays for the postage on the return envelope?
- Why is the envelope containing the voting paper so important?
Counting the vote
- What are the duties of a scrutineer?
- Where two or more candidates receive the same number of valid votes, how do I decide which of them is elected?
- What if a voter votes for more candidates than there are vacancies?
After the vote
- How are election results announced?
- What do I send to the District Court?
- When does the former board step down?