Step Six - Declaration of Results
þ When you are satisfied the totals are correct you must declare the final result on:
09/06/2016 (or ../../201x)
This is done by:
- giving written notice to the board. NOTE: Arrange in advance with the board chair who will be responsible for contacting the candidates
- prominently displaying notices at the school
- publishing a notice in a newspaper circulating in the area of the school (see the example on this page), which must include the name of the candidate(s) elected, the number of valid votes cast for each candidate, and the number of invalid votes cast, and
- completing the two required forms online via www. trustee-election.co.nz. The two forms are:
- “Candidates and Elections Results – Appendix 1” (replaces Appendices A-E). Submitting this form online advises the Ministry of Education that a voting election has been held in a parent representative election. As a result, the remaining 30% of the election funding will be distributed to the board following the triennial and staggered (mid-term) elections of parent representatives.
- “Change in Membership of Board of Trustees – Appendix 2” (previously called Appendix F).
Refer page 20 for more details of these forms
þ Dispatch of papers to District Courts
After declaring the result of an election, all sets of voting papers, including invalid votes and copies of all electoral rolls should be sent to the registrar of the nearest District Court with the school name stated on the outside of the parcel.
Court registrars have asked that voting papers be securely wrapped and tied with string.
SAMPLE ELECTION DECLARATION NOTICE
(Insert school name) School
Board of Trustees' Election
Declaration of Parent and Staff Election Results
Parent representatives votes:
Benson, Albert 74
Ngan, Peter 87
Dean, Jane 82
Francis, Alan 114
Knight, Martin 61
Robinson, Paula 103
Te Pou, Matiu 86
Watene, Lyn 69
Invalid Votes 14
I hereby declare the following duly elected.
Jane Dean, Alan Francis, Peter Ngan, Paula Robinson, Matiu Te Pou
Staff representative votes:
Dunbar, Jane 13
Morgan, Ray 7
Invalid Votes 14
I hereby declare Jane Dunbar duly elected.
Challenge to elections
If the result of an election or the integrity of the electoral process is challenged or called into question, you should immediately notify the nearest office of the Ministry of Education of the nature of the challenge.